Has anyone here noticed that Rooms.com (which used to be a hotel booking site) is now an interior design site focused on virtual tours, featuring Matterport Spaces?
I have been meeting with the people in charge of the new Rooms.com to encourage MSPs to contribute Matterport spaces to Rooms.com. Here’s the deal:
- Rooms.com is currently not commisioning new Matterport spaces but rather they are repurposing already exisiting Matterport spaces.
- It would be ideal (but no necessary) if MSPs would make copies of the Spaces they want to contribute and remove some of the identifying metadata on them (address, realtor contact info, etc.) prior to submitting them. However, Rooms.com will be using the the &title=0 URL parameter to help disguise Rooms.com’s repurposing of Matterport tours. (Rooms.com will not be hiding the branding via URL parameter, so the MSP name (in the “Presented by …” section will be shown while the tour loads.)
Benefits to MSPs: (Why should I contribute?)
- Increase the visibility of Matterport spaces in the sphere of interior design. Designers will be able to be featured on Rooms.com with rooms they have designed, so Rooms.com may open a new door for clients for MSPs.
- Your Matterport spaces on Rooms.com will be linked to your profile, which can contain contact information (and links) to your business.
- You can point to Rooms.com (and your participation in providing content to it) as evidence that Matterport is becoming more and more widely accepted.
How do I submit my Matterport Spaces for inclusion on Rooms.com?
- To submit Matterport Spaces to Rooms.com, either email a list of spaces you want to include to email@example.com, or fill out this form
- Rooms.com will review all submissions for appropriateness (no rooms from Hoarders, please!), tagged for decor/style and finishes, and then Rooms.com will add it to their site.
- Who hosts the Matterport scans?
- Ideally, Rooms.com would host the scans, but it would be a big headache to give each MSP a contributor account on Rooms.com’s Matterport account. Rooms.com is working with Matterport to create an easier method for transferring hosting responsibility to another Matterport account holder.
- Rooms.com wants to use Mattertags to call out design elements in the Matterport Spaces, but that is complicated by the hosting issue. Only a collaborator on the Matterport account hosting the Space can add/edit Mattertags. That is an issue that will hopefully be resolved between Matterport and Rooms.com. At this stage of the project, it would be great if MSPs would be open to adding Mattertags at the request of Rooms.com (and there is a question on the submission form asking this question) but it is not necessary for participation.