This is a pre-release (Beta) build of the Matterport Capture app for Android - if you've got a supported device (which we'll touch on later), you can use it to scan and create 3D spaces. This article will walk you through the requirements needed to try our beta build on Android.
Before you begin
- Create an active Matterport account (if you don't already have one)
- Check the list below to see if you have a supported Android OS version and device
Join this google group using the email that you use with the Play Store on your Android device. This group is not a discussion forum, but is used to enable access to the beta and to share information about the beta. Click on this link to join, and within 1-2 hours you should be enabled for the Beta build automatically.
- Follow the instructions below to install and get set up. If you still don’t see Matterport Capture in the Play Store a day after joining the google group, please check that you are on Android 8.0 or higher and that your device has 3GB of RAM or more.
You can share all questions, suggestions and feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First time using Matterport Capture?
Matterport's Help Center guides can teach you how to scan, edit, and share your spaces with others.
Supported devices and minimum requirements
- Matterport Pro2 3D camera
- Matterport Pro2 Lite 3D camera
- Insta360 ONE X
- Ricoh Theta Z1
- Ricoh Theta V
Partially supported (in work)
- Insta360 ONE R (with the 360° camera module installed and a future firmware release for the ONE R)
Not supported (yet)
- Original Matterport Pro2 3D camera
- Leica BLK360
- Smartphone Capture
- Ricoh Theta SC2
Minimum device requirements
- Android OS
- 8.X (Oreo)
- 9.X (Pie)
- 10.X (Q)
- 3 GB of RAM or more
- Android devices certified by Google and unrooted
NOTE: Android 11 is in early Beta from Google and we do not yet support it.
Due to the sheer volume of Android devices and customizations, we cannot test every device and configuration - we will continue to add to the compatibility list as we continue through the development process. We will be using the Beta testing period to identify and address issues.
Latest Beta build (version 92)
Our current build exists in the Beta channel of the Google Play Store - it's designated as 1.0.0_v92.
- Intermittent crashes
- Alignment times
- Alignment times will increase as you continue to scan and currently take longer to complete when compared to Capture on iOS.
- Progress circles and states
- The scanning progress circle and audible chimes may sometimes not be completely in sync.
- Placed 360° views after upload
- After processing, placed 360° views may not appear in the correct location. If this occurs, they can be adjusted using Workshop.
- Upgrading from builds #64 or older
- You may need to uninstall the older version before a new installation.
- The Pixel 2 on Android 10 is more prone to crashing than other Pixels
Features not yet implemented
- 360° View support for Pro2
- You cannot yet capture a 360° View using the Pro2 and Pro2 Lite - only 3D captures are supported at this time.
- Conversion of placed 360° Views
- You cannot yet convert your 360° into 3D scans, even though the menu option shows up.
Important note: 360° Views are supported by the Theta Z1, Theta V, and Insta360 ONE X.
- Settings bugs
- The sound toggle switch does nothing.
- The Visual Alignment toggle does nothing.
- The Use mobile data for background uploads toggle does nothing.
- No mobile data support for model uploads
- Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi when using the Android Beta. You may be able to download the weights file using mobile data, but that's it for now.
- Install Capture from the Google Play Store. Tap on the Beta tab, or search for Matterport - see below:
- If you have just joined the Google group, it may take a few hours before it is visible.
- If you signed up previously for the closed beta, we have sent you an email with further instructions.
- If you have multiple emails associated with your Google Play Store, Capture will only appear in the account that you used to join the Google group or sign up for the closed beta.
- Sign into your Matterport account in your Beta Capture build
- Don't have a Matterport account? Try it out for free.
- Download and enable the Cortex 3D Conversion engine - follow the steps below
a. Open the Matterport Capture application
b. Tap Settings
c. Tap Storage & Firmware
d. Switch the toggle labeled 3D Conversion to On
◦ If you've used Capture before, this may have already been switched on.
◦ If you skip either step two or step three, you will be prompted to sign in and download the engine - this will also happen if you're using a non-Matterport
360° camera, like the Theta Z1, or ONE X.
Can I try the Matterport Capture Android Beta on [this device]?
There are literally thousands of Android devices, which means we can't test this Beta on every single one of them. As a general rule, if your device has Android OS 8.0 (or higher) and has 3GB (or more) of RAM, you should be able to download and install the Beta in the Google Play Store. If you meet the criteria and still can't install the Beta, please let us know at email@example.com.
Is the Capture for Android Beta available in OEM stores?
OEM app stores - like the Samsung Galaxy Store, or Huawei AppGallery - will not have the Capture Beta. Currently the Beta is only available in the Google Play Store.