This is a pre-release (Beta) build of the Matterport Capture app for Android - if you've got a supported device, you can use it to scan and create 3D spaces. This article will walk you through the requirements needed to try our beta build on Android.
Before you begin
- Create an active Matterport account (if you don't already have one)
- Check the list below to see if you have a supported Android OS version and device
Join this google group using the email that you use with the Play Store on your Android device. This group is not a discussion forum, but is used to enable access to the beta and to share information about the beta. Click on this link to join, and within 1-2 hours you should be enabled for the Beta build automatically.
- Follow the instructions below to install and get set up. If you still don’t see Matterport Capture in the Play Store a day after joining the google group, please check that you are on Android 8.0 or higher and that your device has 3GB of RAM or more.
You can share all questions, suggestions and feedback at email@example.com.
First time using Matterport Capture?
Matterport's Help Center guides can teach you how to scan, edit, and share your spaces with others.
Supported devices and minimum requirements
- Matterport Pro2 3D camera
- Matterport Pro2 Lite 3D camera
- Insta360 ONE X
- Insta360 ONE R (in development)
- Ricoh Theta Z1
- Ricoh Theta V
Not supported (yet)
- Original Matterport Pro 3D camera
- Leica BLK360
- Smartphone Capture
- Ricoh Theta SC2 (not yet fully supported)
Minimum device requirements
- Android OS
- 8.X (Oreo)
- 9.X (Pie)
- 10.X (Q)
- 11.X(in Beta from Google)
- 3 GB of RAM or more
- Android devices certified by Google and unrooted
Due to the sheer volume of Android devices and customizations, we cannot test every device and configuration - we will continue to add to the compatibility list as we continue through the development process. We will be using the Beta testing period to identify and address issues.
Latest Beta build (version 110)
Our current build exists in the Beta channel of the Google Play Store - it's designated as 1.0.0_v110.
- Intermittent crashes
- Alignment times
- Alignment times will increase as you continue to scan and currently take longer to complete when compared to Capture on iOS.
- Progress circles and states
- The scanning progress circle and audible chimes may sometimes not be completely in sync.
- Upgrading from builds #64 or older
- You may need to uninstall the older version before a new installation.
- The Pixel 2 on Android 10 is more prone to crashing than other Pixels
- Insta360 ONE R:
- There may be instances where the ONE R freezes or is not responding to Capture commands. Restart the ONE R and if needed close and re-open Capture.
- Note that you need the beta firmware (see below) installed on your ONE R. You may be able to successfully capture without the beta firmware, but that experience is likely to be error prone.
- Insta360 ONE X:
- There may be instances where you experience an ‘error -1005’. Just retry - we’re working to eliminate this error.
- Ricoh Theta SC2:
- This camera may appear to work with Capture but it is not yet fully supported. Thus you are likely to experience intermittent errors.
Features not yet implemented
- Conversion of placed 360° Views
- You cannot yet convert your placed 360° into 3D scans, even though the menu option still shows.
- The sound toggle switch does nothing.
- The Visual Alignment toggle does nothing.
- The Use mobile data for background uploads toggle does nothing.
- No mobile data support for model uploads
- Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi when using the Android Beta. You may be able to download the weights file using mobile data, but that's it for now.
Pro2, Pro Camera Firmware Updates
- Firmware updates for the Matterport Pro cameras are not yet implemented.
- Install Capture from the Google Play Store. Tap on the Beta tab, or search for Matterport - see below:
- If you have just joined the Google group, it may take a few hours before it is visible.
- If you signed up previously for the closed beta, we have sent you an email with further instructions.
- If you have multiple emails associated with your Google Play Store, Capture will only appear in the account that you used to join the Google group or sign up for the closed beta.
- Sign into your Matterport account in your Beta Capture build
- Don't have a Matterport account? Try it out for free.
- Download and enable the Cortex 3D Conversion engine - follow the steps below
a. Open the Matterport Capture application
b. Tap Settings
c. Tap Storage & Firmware
d. Switch the toggle labeled 3D Conversion to On
◦ If you've used Capture before, this may have already been switched on.
◦ If you skip either step two or step three, you will be prompted to sign in and download the engine - this will also happen if you're using a non-Matterport
360° camera, like the Theta Z1, Theta V, ONE R, or ONE X.
Installing Beta Firmware for the ONE R - required!
Download the Insta360OneRFW.bin file to a computer. Do not rename it.
You can download it from this link.
Copy this file to the SD card of the ONE R. You can do so by connecting your ONE R to a computer via USB cable, or by removing the SD card and mounting it in a card reader.
Copy the file to the root directory - the top level - not inside any folders that might exist on the SD card
Do not attempt to install this firmware on a camera other than a ONE R.
Disconnect from the computer and reboot. The display on the ONE R will indicate that it is checking and applying the firmware update, then it will reboot.
Connect your iOS device to the ONE R using the Android Wi-Fi settings panel (you may need to look up the Wi-Fi password within the touch screen menu of the ONE R for the very first connection).
When connected, Capture should show the ONE R on firmware version 7.1.45
Can I try the Matterport Capture Android Beta on [this device]?
There are literally thousands of Android devices, which means we can't test this Beta on every single one of them. As a general rule, if your device has Android OS 8.0 (or higher) and has 3GB (or more) of RAM, you should be able to download and install the Beta in the Google Play Store. If you meet the criteria and still can't install the Beta, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is the Capture for Android Beta available in OEM stores?
OEM app stores - like the Samsung Galaxy Store, or Huawei AppGallery - will not have the Capture Beta. Currently the Beta is only available in the Google Play Store.