This is article is about the Matterport Capture app for Android - if you've got a supported device, you can use it to scan and create 3D spaces with a connected camera. If you are interested in trying Beta releases, see the instructions and details below.
Note that Smartphone Capture - using just the camera of your Android phone or tablet - is not yet supported.
If you’re looking for release details or a Beta for the Capture on iOS, please look here.
Current Play Store Release: 1.0.0
Via Play Store Beta Channel
Before you begin
- Create an active Matterport account (if you don't already have one)
- Check the list below to see if you have a supported Android OS version and device
- Search for "Matterport Capture" in the Play Store (or click here) to find the app listing.
- Follow the instructions below to install and get set up. If you don’t see Matterport Capture in the Play Store, please check that you are on Android 8.0 or higher, that your device has 3GB of RAM or more, and is Google certified (unrooted).
- Make sure that your 360 camera’s firmware is up to date - check the Ricoh or Insta360 support sites for your camera model.
First time using Matterport Capture?
Supported devices and minimum requirements
- Matterport Pro2 3D Camera*
- Matterport Pro2 Lite 3D Camera*
- Matterport Pro 3D Camera*
- Insta360 ONE X
- Insta360 ONE R
- Insta360 ONE X2
- Ricoh Theta Z1
- Ricoh Theta V
- Ricoh Theta SC2
* Requires a Professional Plan Subscription in order to upload models captured with a Matterport Camera.
Not supported (yet)
- Smartphone Capture
- Leica BLK360
Minimum device requirements
- Android OS
- 8.X (Oreo)
- 9.X (Pie)
- 10.X (Q)
- 3 GB of RAM or more
- Android devices certified by Google and unrooted
- Modern devices that use a 64-bit architecture (32-bit unsupported)
Due to the sheer volume of Android devices and customizations, we cannot test every device and configuration. If you do not see Capture in the Play Store and believe that your device meets the minimum requirements, you can first check that your device is on the master Play Store list. This is a list of all devices supported by the Play Store: being on the list does not mean that your device supports Capture, but it is necessary. If your device is not listed, that is a likely reason you can’t install Capture.
Latest Beta build
You can try the latest features via the Beta channel of the Google Play Store. This link explains how to find and join or exit Beta programs in the Play Store.
You can share all questions, suggestions and feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Insta360 ONE R:
- There may be instances where the ONE R freezes or is not responding to Capture commands. Restart the ONE R and if needed close and re-open Capture.
2. Alignment times
- Alignment times currently take longer to complete when compared to Capture on iOS.
3. The sign-in and sign-up pages within the app may appear in English even though your device is set to a different language.
Can I try the Matterport Capture Android on [this device]?
There are literally thousands of Android devices, which means we can't test on every single one of them. As a general rule, if your device has Android OS 8.0 (or higher), has 3GB (or more) of RAM, and is Google certified and unrooted, you should be able to download and install Capture.
Is Capture for Android available in OEM stores?
Currently Capture is only available in the Google Play Store. OEM app stores - like the Samsung Galaxy Store, or Huawei AppGallery - are not available.
Is [this camera] supported?
We currently support the Matterport Pro 3D camera family as well as the six 360 partner cameras listed above. Other cameras that support the Open Spherical Camera (OSC) 2.x specification may work, or may partially work. Please share what other cameras you would like to see supported at email@example.com.
Can I use just the camera in my Android phone or tablet?
This method is not yet supported on Android (like it is on iOS). We expect to offer this as soon as it is ready for the Beta program like we do with all new features.