Here’s how it works:
- Use the Leica BLK360 and the Matterport Capture app to create one unique Matterport model of a site. Scanning is simple, regardless of whether you are more familiar with Matterport Pro/Pro2 or the Leica BLK360.
- Upload the model to Matterport Cloud (my.matterport.com) for processing.
- Share the Matterport URL with stakeholders so they can remotely explore the space.
The Matterport Pro2 3D Camera and the Leica BLK360 are complementary scanning devices. You can use them together to create one Matterport model. Which device you choose depends on what you are scanning and what your needs are at the time.
The following are some basic rules of thumb. For your specific job, use your judgment or contact us for more information.
|Matterport Pro2 3D Camera||Leica BLK360|
High quality 4K imagery — When 2D panorama imagery is very important (such as for inspection or construction documentation) then use the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera.
Speed — For efficiency when moving through a large site or for scanning dense areas that require lots of scans, use Matterport. Each Matterport scan takes around 20 seconds, compared to around 180 seconds for the BLK360 (low density and no HDR).
Big spaces — You can get 3D data at long distances and place the device further apart between scans. Spaces that lack unique 3D objects, like a large empty warehouse and buildings that have high ceilings are great candidates.
Exteriors and bright lighting — The Leica BLK360 excels at scanning in bright conditions, especially in sunlight. With the BLK360, you can capture 3D scans to get great point clouds and measurements in areas that were difficult to scan before.
See some examples of Matterport models scanned with the Leica BLK360. Notice the detailed dollhouse (large amounts of 3D data) and the scans in bright sunlight that are possible.
For more information about the Matterport/Leica integration:
- Read the press release from September 2017
- Read a blog about the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Exported point clouds are the same density and accuracy as from spaces captured with the Matterport Pro/Pro2 3D Camera. For full density point clouds, you can download it directly from the BLK360 device after a successful scan.