First count the time it takes to stage and prepare the site. Estimate this at 15 minutes.
Next count the time actually spent scanning. An individual scan takes about 75 seconds. This includes:
- Camera scanning and rotating (30 seconds)
- Transferring data from camera to the iPad (30 seconds)
- Aligning to previous scans on the iPad (15 seconds)
- Moving the camera to the next spot (can be done concurrently with transfer and alignment)
Multiply this by the total number of scans. Most residential homes (2000 ft2 or 185 m2) can be done in 50 to 75 scans.
Speed it up
You can speed up the process by:
- Staging and cleaning the site beforehand
- Become very familiar with the Matterport system so you can setup the tripod and use the iPad with ease.
- Use an iPad Pro or a newer iPad Model. This will speed up alignment.
- Take less scans. However, we recommend you take more scans. With more scans, there's more for visitors to see, and you can also gather more 3D depth data for a better Dollhouse View. Finally, with more scans you have more chances to get great 2D photos at the right angle without having making a return visit to the site.
- Join the public beta for fast capture