Schedule the Job
Scan when the site is less active, such as the end of the workday or on the weekend. Other people in the scanning path can cause alignment errors or just make the imagery look bad.
Avoid direct sunlight because it interferes with the camera’s infrared depth sensors. Even tinted windows can let infrared light in. Be careful at these times:
- 8 to 10 am from the east (sunrise)
- 4 to 6 pm from the west (sunset)
- 11 am to 1 pm from skylights (noon)
Plan your Path
Explore once you arrive to get a feeling for the site. Look for:
- Direct sunlight — can cause alignment issues
- Important areas — take a few extra scans there
- Dangerous areas — avoid or take extra precautions
Create a 2D drawing of the site or print a floor plan before you arrive. Plan about how many scans you’ll do in each area.
Mark your map and mark the ground after every scan. Mark the ground with tape or spray paint. When you return to scan again, place the tripod on the same positions. Exact placement is not required, but placing at about the same positions really helps when comparing the old and new.